Why study theology if you aren’t becoming a vicar?
Our independent students join the Trinity community to study theology for a wide range of reasons that include:
- Church leadership outside of the Church of England. We work in partnership with Bristol Baptist College and with local non-denominational churches, and our community includes students and tutors from a mix of backgrounds.
- Those who want to teach RE, Bible, or theology at the primary, secondary, or tertiary levels. Some of our current independent students are preparing to teach RE in secondary schools, while others are accessing our postgraduate research MA and PhD options to prepare themselves to teach at university level. [Meet an independent student who will teach lay leaders the Bible.]
- Lay leadership in the Church of England. We will offer you a robust theological education as you prepare to teach, preach, work with children and youth, and engage in mission through your church.
- Mission work. Perhaps God is asking you to serve him somewhere outside the UK, perhaps he is calling you to come alongside those in need within the UK. As you prepare to engage with the practical and spiritual needs of others, a strong theological education will be foundational to all you do.
- Other! Some of our independent students have goals to become human rights activists, chaplains, or some join us simply out of a desire to gain a deeper understanding of the Bible as followers of Jesus Christ. Time spent gaining a deeper understanding of how to read your Bible and what it means to follow Jesus Christ in today’s world will never be wasted. [Meet an independent student who wants to pursue human rights law.]